Monday 18 October 2010

Beer Bread #3 - the remake

To conclude my comparison of the SR Flour v' Plain Flour beer bread debate this is the plain with Baking Powder version.

Beer Bread #3
3 cups plain flour
1tbsp Baking Powder (+ 1tsp)
1tbsp golden sugar
1tsp salt
300ml lager
5 heaped tbsps seeds (pine nuts, sunflower and pumpkin seeds)
Little melted butter for greasing
Make same as last time - preheat oven to Gas 5.
Sift flour and BP into bowl. Realise BP went out of date in Nov '09 hence adding the extra tsp. [I know Bicarb of Soda is unforgiving when out of date, and indeed if not fresh, but wasn't sure about BP as some of it's constituents are the same.]
Add sugar, salt and seeds. Mix in.
Add lager and mis well, trying to ensure seeds spread fairly equally throughout mix.
Grease foils / muffin tray etc and dollop mix in.
Bake 55 mins or until skewer comes out clean.
Let cool few mins in tins then turn out onto cooling rack.
The verdict - even at the mixing stage the mix seemed 'bigger'. The resultant rolls seemed a little lighter once cooked. It's not a big difference though so I'd just use whatever flour you have in the cupboard.
On a personal level I loved it with the seeds in; especially the pumpkin seeds, so I get the feeling this is going to be my default recipe from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love my comments!!!!
Thank you for reading. I read all my comments and am trying to get better at replying to them too. :-)
Lovely to have you pass by. Be shiny. :-D